Re: Vonage Selects TCS For VoIP E911 Service

  • From: Brad Knowles
  • Date: Wed Jul 20 07:28:52 2005

At 11:21 AM +0100 2005-07-20, [email protected] wrote:

 On the other hand, maybe all you want to do is to route the
 call to the right E911 center. In that case, as long as you
 are in the right county you are probably OK.
If all you use the "last known position" information for is routing to the correct E911 system, that might be okay. However, one thing I believe you need to also transmit along with the position information is "time since last fix", so that you can get some sort of idea how long it's been since that position information was reasonably accurate.

If the time since last fix is several hours, then the person might now be on a plane using a picocell or broadband wireless network connection that is not position-enhanced, and using the position information for routing to the presumed correct E911 system may be inappropriate.

So long as we give additional information which gives the system an idea of the expected level of age and error in the information, I think the risks should be able to be reasonably minimized.

 In any case, no solution to E911 and VoIP is likely to meet
 100% of its requirements, but if you can improve the situation
 significantly, then it is still worth doing.
I guess it also depends on what you mean by "significantly". Is a 10% solution significant? Do you need 90% before you're significant? And what's the cost of false positives, as well as false negatives? I think all these factors need to be considered, when looking at potential solutions.

--
Brad Knowles, <[email protected]>

Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755