Re: Vonage Selects TCS For VoIP E911 Service

  • From: Brad Knowles
  • Date: Wed Jul 20 05:59:45 2005

At 10:32 AM +0100 2005-07-20, [email protected] wrote:

 While I agree that GPS is the likely answer, I wasn't expecting the
 ability to work inside computer rooms and basements.
 It doesn't need to work in basements, etc. It only needs to keep
 a record of the last location it was at when the signal faded
 away. The emergency service vehicles probably can't get any closer
 than that anyway.
I've been doing some reading on this subject. It seems that both GPS and tower triangulation methods suck. For GPS, the problems are signal acquisition and penetration in urban environments, especially with non-dedicated handheld devices. For tower triangulation, the problem appears to be areas with poor signal coverage where you might only be able to barely see one tower, and where TDoA, AoA, and EOTD aren't going to do you any good.

In either case, simply keeping the last known signal lock may very well be one of the worst things you could do.

It seems to me that we need to use both technologies in order to get any real hope of reasonably sustainable accuracy, either for E911 or any other location-aware technology. And I'm not convinced even that's enough.

So, anyone want to place any bets on what's really going to happen?

--
Brad Knowles, <[email protected]>

Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755