Re: Vonage Selects TCS For VoIP E911 Service

  • From: Daniel Senie
  • Date: Tue Jul 19 11:40:54 2005

At 02:48 AM 7/19/2005, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005, Daniel Senie wrote:

use the customer's billing address, attempt to determine location based on IP address or some other voodoo? It'll be interesting to see if they
If you look at the webpage of telecomsystems (http://www.telecomsys.com) they state that their platform is GPS based.

I see no other way of doing this reliably than to put some kind of GPS device into the VoIP unit.
While I agree that GPS is the likely answer, I wasn't expecting the ability to work inside computer rooms and basements. Guess based on the following article that it's possible. So, I guess we'll be seeing Vonage replacing the Cisco ATA-186's with something that does GPS.

I suppose a downside is folks using the Vonage boxes outside the US via VPN will be traceable by Vonage and could get shut down, if Vonage wanted to enforce such.

Article regarding indoor GPS and other locator service.

<http://www.gpsworld.com/gpsworld/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=3053>

If you can put a locator into a cellphone, I see no reason why you cannot do the same in a VoIP unit.
VOIP units don't walk near windows or outdoors, but given the claims made in the article, I guess it'll be possible.

Perhaps some nice inexpensive NTP sync hardware will come out of this too. If the chips will work in the environments they list, perhaps they'll also work in data centers, if all the tweaks discussed don't affect clock sync accuracy too much.