Re: lo0kal1ke domains, Non-English Domain Names Likely Delayed

  • From: John Levine
  • Date: Tue Jul 19 10:38:14 2005

>Isn't someone more eloquent than I going to point out that that spending
>a lot of effort eliminating homographs from DNS to stop phishing ...

I sat in on some of the discussion at ICANN in Lux, and I simultaneously
heard that the problem is fundamentally insoluble, but ICANN has to do
something about it anyway, which makes no sense to me.

I see two reasons that it's a waste of time to worry about homographs.
One is that there's so many approximate homographs even in "simple"
languages like English (O and 0, I and l and 1, etc.) that you can't
possibly strike them all.  The other is that even if you rule out all
variants of, say, citibank.com, you're still going to have names like
citibank-account.com (which is not Citibank) and cyota.net (which
isn't Citibank either, but runs Verified by Visa mail on behalf of
lots of real banks.)

There are plausible counterattacks to phishes, with branded signatures
from a small set of well-known third parties at the top of my list,
but eliminating homographs is fixing the leaks in a sieve one hole at
a time.

R's,
John