Re: Non-English Domain Names Likely Delayed

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Tue Jul 19 02:04:26 2005

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 23:55:08 +0200, Iljitsch van Beijnum said:
> On 18-jul-2005, at 22:49, Brad Knowles wrote:
> > Like Verisign, the people who pay the bills are not the end-user
> > consumers of e-mail addresses and web browsers, and many of the
> > bill-payers are likely to be the sort of people who would want to
> > encourage confusion.
>
> I don't believe the major TLDs with million+ names registered are
> short sighted enough to think it's a good idea to encourage confusion.

This would be the same TLDs that don't censure registrars with a long track
record of registering domains for known phishers and spammers and the like, right?

> >     You're a customer of an ISP.  You know nothing about how to run
> > your own nameserver.  Just how exactly do you expect to have
> > control over your own named.root?
>
> Buy some books at oreilly.com?

I'd cue a Randy Bush audio clip, if only I knew that only the offender's ISP's
phone would ring.  Unfortunately, this isn't the case....

What percent of the Joe Sixpacks out there could sucessfully manage their
named.root given a copy of 'DNS for Idiots' without generating at least one
trouble ticket?

Also, what do the experiences of people who had to deal with getting themselves
out of 69/8 bogon filters or thousands of different SMTP blacklists tell us about
the wisdom of having a large number of these sorts of things sitting where
end users can mangle-and-forget?  Remember - most land mines are detonated
by civilians long after the war is over.....