RE: IPv6 push doesn't have much pull in U.S

  • From: Kuhtz, Christian
  • Date: Mon Jul 18 12:35:11 2005

:)

True, but, there's actually another angle to consider.

If there is pressure to adopt IPv6 rapidly in a given region, and that
given region also happens to drive broadband technology evolution, and
North America ends up being dependent on cheap equipment primarily
driven by overseas standards.. It is conceivable that North America will
have a substantial economic argument for adopting IPv6 on the trailing
edge, maybe just past the leading edge if you have additional factors
playing into the decision.

Or one may just be oblivious to the emergence of IPv6 like it has been
to up to this point, and sustain that without any harm whatsoever.

The key questions are

	When will who you want to talk to speak IPv6?
	When will we have a need (and be willing to pay for) addressing
every device individually and directly without intermediary?
	When will we have a need (and be willing to pay for) pervasive
crypto & "identity"?

Each person/carrier/user/whatever will answer these differently, and it
has a lot to do with how you work, who you do business with, and what
economic pressures may apply, and whether or not you can cope with an
intermediary or non-native setup.  There is no globally correct answer.

Or that's at least my view.  Flame away.

Thanks,
Christian

*****
The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers. 162