Re: OMB: IPv6 by June 2008

  • From: John Payne
  • Date: Fri Jul 15 16:25:03 2005

On Jul 7, 2005, at 1:37 PM, Joe Abley wrote:

My various networked devices each get two addresses in this way. When they talk to some remote device that has a shim6 element in its protocol stack, I get all the benefits that I would expect to achieve by multi-homing: if one provider goes down, I use the other one without having to debug anything, or yank any cables, or answer any difficult pop-up questions. Sessions that are established before one provider dies continue to work afterwards. New sessions start up just fine. When the provider comes back on-line, everything continues to work. I probably don't even notice that the provider had a problem.
I've only briefly read stuff about shim6... I've seen mention of load sharing and redundancy, but what about load unbalancing and redundancy? An end-site with BGP today has lots of control over their outbound traffic patterns in particular... maybe I missed something, but I don't get how you can maintain this level of control with shim6. (inbound traffic unbalancing is also an issue... but I did read something about dynamically exchanging locators which I could see being used to unbalance inbound traffic, perhaps with more control than today's BGP setup)