Re: Customer DNS records best practices

  • From: David Nolan
  • Date: Thu Jul 14 20:54:46 2005

--On Thursday, July 14, 2005 2:45 PM -0700 Peter Kranz <[email protected]> wrote:

I am looking for any suggestions on tool/utilities that you are using to
allow customers to manager their forward/reverse DNS records that reside
on your DNS servers. Linux/Unix based preferred.

I'll put in a plug here for Carnegie Mellon's NetReg, which I'm currently the primary maintainer of. We use it to maintain approximately 50K records in over 100 zones, and the matching reverses (in over 300 zones). (We also maintain our ISC DHCP servers with the same system, but that seems of less relevance to you.)

It maintains both the zone data and the bind9 config files for 3 groups of authoritative servers and a set of recursive servers for our users. It can push zone updates to the servers via either dynamic dns updates (w/ TSIG) or via static zone pushes via rsync.

Users can have access to register their own machines via a web interface (protected via any apache authentication method of your choice). Fine grained access control provides flexible control of which users can do which operations.

Its released under an open source license. Requires Apache 1.3.x, MySQL 4.0.x, perl, Bind 9+. Its in use at several other universities, and some large companies as well.

More information and downloads available at http://www.net.cmu.edu/netreg

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

-David Nolan
Network Software Designer
Computing Services
Carnegie Mellon University