Re: Customer DNS records best practices

  • From: Daniel Golding
  • Date: Thu Jul 14 18:50:11 2005

There are a couple possibilities.

Mice and Men and INS both make software that can "front-end" BIND servers
via a secure web interface. You can also utilize a secure DNS appliance to
serve your customer DNS - Infoblox, Bluecat, and INS all make these. They
generally have a pretty rich multi-user security model, can use RADIUS for
authentication, etc.

There are lots of good reasons to keep your customer DNS separate from your
own DNS if you are going to allow customers to remotely administer their
zone records.

I would ensure you have a good idea of your requirements before you jump
into this - do you want the software to validate changed records? Just
accept changes? Do you plan to support a subset of Resource Records, or the
whole enchilada?

- Dan

-