Re: London incidents

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Tue Jul 12 17:20:16 2005

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 12:34:32PM +0200, Brad Knowles wrote:
> 	The problem with mobile phones in the car has less to do with
> taking a person's hand off the wheel (although that is something to
> be concerned about), and more to do with the fact that the driver is
> distracted by talking to the person on the other end.

They say this, but it doesn't work that way for me, as a datapoint.

It's not the conversation that's the big thing, IME; it's *holding a
phone up to your ear*, which is an action we train ourselves to follow
up with *ignoring what's going on around us*.

When I talk while driving *without* a headset, my driving's usually
fine... it's my *navigation* that fails totally.  Using a headset, both
are fine.  YMMV.

Shutting down the networks just because they can be used to trigger a
bomb is asinine, though, yes.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]
Designer                +-Internetworking------+----------+           RFC 2100

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me