Re: London incidents

  • From: Michael.Dillon
  • Date: Tue Jul 12 06:54:15 2005

> http://networks.silicon.com/mobile/0,39024665,39150177,00.htm
> has what Sean was referring to.
> >> UK Government officials deny they shutdown any cell phone service.

In London, the mobile operators do not provide any service
anywhere in the London underground network. The only place
that I know of where there is service is on the Heathrow
Express platforms at Heathrow but that is technically not
part of the London underground. Outside of Central London
the lines run aboveground and there is obviously mobile
coverage in those areas. Also, some of the lines run in shallow
tunnels, sometimes little more than uncovered trenches and
so there are areas where the signal from local cells does
penetrate into the trains.

There has been some talk recently of setting up microcells
inside the tunnels to give mobile coverage throughout the
system as is found in other countries. I wonder if this will
now be reconsidered.

There are always tradeoffs when building infrastructures
of any type. Like the requirement for generator capacity
at 60 Hudson versus the desire of Tribeca residents to
not live next door to a fuel dump.

--Michael Dillon