RE: ATT CDPD

  • From: Kuhtz, Christian
  • Date: Mon Jul 11 14:00:43 2005

> > AT&T doesn't use CDMA... so they wouldn't be running 1xRTT. EDGE,
> > perhaps?
>
> Yes.  AT&T also announced plans to get into the next layer,
> UMTS, which uses the concept of code division multiple access
> (CDMA), but isn't the same as Quallcomm CDMA
> (IS-95/IS-2000/CDMA2000).  I don't know offhand which of the
> GSM-core technologies are/will be deployed by them at this
> time, as they aren't the carrier I currently use.
>
> (To my knowledge, however, AT&T does offer GPRS, which is
> slow, but if using at least two timeslots, still faster than
> IS-95 CDMA non-1X data.  8-)

Actually, you should be able to get EDGE from T or its new parent. It
has been productized for a while.

Thanks,
Christian

--
"Sometimes a phone is just a phone."

*****
The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers. 162