Re: OMB: IPv6 by June 2008

  • From: Alexei Roudnev
  • Date: Sat Jul 09 15:18:30 2005

No one real DOS attack can create traffic, sugnificant for core routers
(except one - two worm cases when millions of computers generated random
traffic). I do not see a problem there.

All problems you are talking about are resolved in modern CPU industry,
resolved in modern servers, Router vendors just never had such task. Notice,
that modern routers are MORE THEN anough for modern Internet. If routing
tables grouth 10 times, routers will follow this trend without sugnificant
difficulties.

IPv6 looks exactly as ASN.1 - when Telco created it many years ago, they
attempted to pack everything into very slow 9600 bandwidth. Result - when
you see it in H.323 today, running on 100Mbit links, it's all unnecessary
(and it explains why SIP substitutes H.323, even if it never used excellent
ASN.1 packing schema /do not bite me, there are many other reasons, of
course/).

The same here. Many many years ago it looks as CIDR is 100% required and as
MH can not be achieved for small companies and that we must limit Internet
size to 100,000 routes. Today, we have much more, and do not foresee any
problem related to route table sizes.

I am not saying that Ipv4 mh approach is excellent, but I do not see anyone,
who proved that it could not work in future networks, instead of twisty and
tricky IPv6 addressing schema without MH at all. (Of course, it all will
result in the same trick - every smalll entity in IPv6 will have it's own PI
address block, no one idiot will be able to live with constant renumbering
they proposed to use. Just wait 2 - 10 years and you will see).