Re: The whole alternate-root ${STATE}horse

  • From: Stephen J. Wilcox
  • Date: Sat Jul 09 13:49:46 2005

I didnt realise it was that time of year again already, it feels like only a
couple months since the last annual alternate root debate.

Still its nice to see all the old kooks still alive and well and not yet locked
up in mental homes. I'd better do my part to feed the trolls i guess...

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005, John Palmer (NANOG Acct) wrote:

> Please prove that Inclusive Namespace roots put name resolution at risk.

No proof is needed, this is not maths. If there are two roots then a query to
each server has the potential to return a different reply. The chance of this
happening increases over time plus if an alternate root were to become popular
their power to challenge authority if a class were found grows.

> > Client side users, conversely, expect that published addresses by businesses
> > or individuals go to the intended party.

This is the key point, clients and domain owners need this consistency. Read
this a few times and consider how you'd feel if $large_provider decided to point
your domain name or their competitors domains to their website .. its the same
problem.

> > Introducing fragmented TLDs or the opportunity to supplant the common TLDs
> > places the DNS infrastructure at risk.  This is not just FUD -- DNS
> > hijacking in alternate roots has already happened.  (But if you had actually
> > read RFC2826, you would already understand this.)
>
> Please post a link or give an example. If you mean .BIZ, I would agree, it was
> hijacked, but by ICANN, not by any Inclusive Roots. It belonged to
> AtlanticRoot and ICANN deliberatly created a collision. Collisions cause
> instability and the biggest one was caused by ICANN.

Those who consider ICANN the authority would disagree, I believe those are the
majority.

Steve