Re: mh (RE: OMB: IPv6 by June 2008)

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Fri Jul 08 12:51:32 2005

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 01:31:57PM -0700, Crist Clark wrote:
> And if you still want "the protection of NAT," any stateful firewall
> will do it.

That seems a common viewpoint.

I believe the very existence of the Ping Of Death rebuts it.

A machine behind a NAT box simply is not visible to the outside world,
except for the protocols you tunnel to it, if any.   This *has* to
vastly reduce it's attack exposure.

Anyone with a pointer to an *in depth* explanation somewhere of why
that assumption is invalid can mail it to me off list, and I'll shut
up.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me