RE: mh (RE: OMB: IPv6 by June 2008)

  • From: Tony Hain
  • Date: Thu Jul 07 15:52:55 2005

Given that shim breaks fundamental assumptions about the stable relationship
between the packet header and the application context, there will be many
security related issues to be resolved after the shim spec stabilizes. Shim
is a 'more than a decade' effort if it ever completes.

The disappearance of NAT is not as bad as the FUD that keeps coming up. See:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-nap-01.txt
and please send comments if some use of NAT is not covered.

As far as alternatives for multi-homing, the IESG has focused on shim and
denied a request for a bof in August to discuss interim options.

I submitted updates to the ID editor early last month but for some reason
they have not popped out yet, but I am always accepting comments on:
http://www.tndh.net/~tony/ietf/draft-hain-ipv6-pi-addr-08.txt
http://www.tndh.net/~tony/ietf/draft-hain-ipv6-pi-addr-use-08.txt
Like the approach or not, it is straight up existing BGP and existing host
stacks. It will never be the highly optimized 400 entry routing table, but
it doesn't pretend to be. It does however create PI space that has some hope
of aggregating.

Tony