Re: OMB: IPv6 by June 2008

  • From: David Conrad
  • Date: Thu Jul 07 13:56:44 2005

Alexei,

On Jul 7, 2005, at 9:58 AM, Alexei Roudnev wrote:
What's the problem with independent address space for every entity (company,
family, enterprise) which wants it?
It doesn't scale. Regardless of Moore's law, there are some fundamental physical limits that constrain technology.

How many entities do we have on earth?
Well, there are 6 billion people on the planet. Don't know how many companies or families. Don't know how many autonomous devices there will be (e.g., cars, planes, boats, ships, satellites, light bulbs, gastro-intestinal probes, etc. etc.).

It was a problem, but it IS NOT ANYMORE.
You're not thinking big enough.

IPSec - see all ISAKMP schema and IPSEC security associations, and see IPSec
incompatibilities.
Any new protocol has initial interoperability problems when it is being developed by different people/teams.

Compare with SSL (works out-of-the-box in 99.999% cases,
and allows both, full and hard security with root certificates etc, or
simple security based on _ok, I trust you first time, then we can work_.
a) I suspect most SSL implementations derive out of the same code base.
b) SSL has been around longer.
c) SSLeay had lots of interoperability issues when it first came out.

Why MS uses PPTP? Because it is much more practuical vs IPSec.
MS uses PPTP because it meets their business requirements. The fact that it is more practical is a second order effect.

Rgds,
-drc