Re: OMB: IPv6 by June 2008

  • From: David Meyer
  • Date: Thu Jul 07 13:32:13 2005

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 09:58:56AM -0700, Alexei Roudnev wrote:

> What's the problem with independent address space for every entity (company,
> family, enterprise) which wants it? Big routing tables? Is RT of 1,000,000
> routes BIG? I do not think so. Memory is cheap, modern routing schemas like
> CEF are effective. How many entities do we have on earth? It was a problem,
> but it IS NOT ANYMORE.

	One of the problems that is frequently overlooked here is
	that while the size of the DFZ is more or less bounded
	(although not as meaningfully so for IPv6 as it is for
	IPv4), the dynamic nature of the routing table is not
	bounded. Add to this that the less aggregation you have,
	the more the DFZ is exposed to those dynamics. The point
	here being that the memory requirements of the DFZ table
	is just one of the dimensions that must be considered if
	we intend the network to scale.

	Dave