Re: OMB: IPv6 by June 2008

  • From: Andre Oppermann
  • Date: Thu Jul 07 10:26:42 2005

Joe Abley wrote:
On 7 Jul 2005, at 08:27, Andre Oppermann wrote:

Err... So you want to protect the incumbent ISP's?  Even those once
started off with 200 customers.  Who is going to decide if some (today)
small ISP is worthy of receiving its own PA space or not?
Pretty much any ISP is capable of obtaining their own PA space under current RIR policies, regardless of size. The prohibition on PA space is to end sites, not ISPs.
I know but I was responding to Iljitsch who told us:

# Address allocation is unsustainable but that's not IPv6's fault: it's  done the same way
# (or even worse) in IPv4. But somehow the industry  as a whole seems incapable of
# recognizing that having each and every  ISP with 200 customers (not even that in
# AfriNIC/LACNIC regions), no  matter how regional/local, occupy a place at the top of the
# global  addressing hierarchy is a flawed idea.

The myth that only large, established ISPs are able to obtain PA IPv6 address space really needs to disappear.
It was about a spot in the global routing table.  No matter if one gets
PA or PI they get a routing table entry in the DFZ.  There is no way around
it other than to make the routing protocols more scaleable.

--
Andre