Re: OMB: IPv6 by June 2008

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Wed Jul 06 18:36:21 2005

On 7-jul-2005, at 0:18, Joe Abley wrote:

With great hindsight it would have been nice if the multi6/shim6 design exercise had come *during* the IPv6 design exercise, rather than afterwards: we might have ended up with a protocol/addressing model that accommodated both the address size problem and also the DFZ state bloat issue. Oh well.
Well, maybe I'm too optimistic here, but I believe that if a real solution to the DFZ problem presents itself, the IETF will bend over backwards and then some to shoehorn it into IP.

But it certainly looks like a small DFZ table and portable address space are fundamentally incompatible.