Re: OMB: IPv6 by June 2008

  • From: Scott McGrath
  • Date: Wed Jul 06 10:58:50 2005

We are already behind in innovation as most networks these days are run by
accountants instead of people with an entrepaneur's sprit.   We need good
business practices so that the network will stay afloat financially I do
not miss the 'dot.com' days.

But what we have now is an overemphasis on cost-cutting and like it or not
IPv6 implementation is seen as a 'frill' which will not reduce OPEX.  I
really fear we have lost the edge here in the west due to too much
emphasis on the cost side of the equation ironically this has been driven
by the current network where financial information is available instantly
for decision making whereas in the past financial information about
far-flung operation took up to a year to to arrive so if a division was
profitable it was 'left alone' now with the instant availability we are
seeing profitable divisions of companies shut down because the numerical
analysis shows the capital could be used to generate a higher return
elsewhere.

Innovation is expensive and it does not return an immediate benefit and
right now all the average corporation cares about is the next quarter's
figures not whether the company will be profitable in 5 years.   We are
seeing many instances of companies eating their seed corn instead of
investing in the future.

IPv6 would have been adopted much sooner if the protocol had been written
as an extension of IPv4 and in this case it could have slid in under the
accounting departments radar since new equipment and applications would
not be needed.

                            Scott C. McGrath