Re: OT? /dev/null 5.1.1 email

  • From: Simon Lyall
  • Date: Tue Jul 05 23:38:26 2005

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Patrick Muldoon wrote:
> Even better if you can implement something that auto blacklists
> people that connect to your "secondary" MX's when you know that your
> primaries are up and accepting e-mail.

You might be able to connect to them but who knows what transient network
even might stop a remote site from connecting to your primaries long
enough that they try the secondary MX.

A related thing is that these days your mail system has to check the
validity of the address on SMTP connect time. I've used/seen a few email
setups where the front layer just checked the domain validity and the
layers further back checked the full address.

Doing that these days leaves you with a lot of email/spam to invalid
addresses you have to drop or bounce.

--
Simon J. Lyall.  |   Very  Busy   |   Mail: [email protected]
"To stay awake all night adds a day to your life" - Stilgar | eMT.