Re: OT? /dev/null 5.1.1 email

  • From: Jim Popovitch
  • Date: Tue Jul 05 21:50:42 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 16:35 -0400, Daniel Senie wrote:

> Generally there's little reason to run a secondary MX. Email will
> queue if the sole MX is  offline or unreachable. Email will queue at
> senders' mail servers.

The problem with the above is that your (or your users') email delivery
is then dependent upon the configuration and timeouts of someone else's
system (my system drops undeliverables after 1 hour).   A backup mx
system gives you the capability of getting and keeping what you can,
when you can.  What you do with it after that is all under your control.

-Jim P.