Re: source for GIS-correlated fiber conduit data

  • From: sgorman1
  • Date: Tue Jul 05 19:41:39 2005

Hi,

Yes, we have spent some time collecting and building GIS analysis tools for various infrastructures, including fiber.  There are folks that sell or did sell GIS fiber data.  There are pros and cons for each, and nothing is complete.  That said a few places you might want to check out:

Geo-tel - has metro fiber for several cities.  Drawback is you cannot do routing analysis beacuse a large unumber of the conduits to do not connect to form cohesive paths.

Platts - used to have a product call Telcomap that had longhaul and metro fiber.  The product was incomplete and discontinued, but there is data if you can get a hold of it.

Universal Access - also has GIS data but it is rather limited from what I've heard, have not actually worked with this set.

Depending on what you want to do with the data, some of these might work for you.  Despite the media's best attemts, our work at GMU was not classified ** shameless plug ** the dissertation will be coming out as a book this summer.  We have progressed quite a bit with the work in the intervening years, and have some interesting tools for quantifying the diversity between different sets of providers to optimize resiliency of networks, fail-sims, ROI models for different multi provider configurations.  Although I think the most interesting application of late is mapping IP traffic to its physical fiber routes.  Still in the prototype phase, but should be a good tool for finding points where a large number of logically diverse paths are in the same ditch.

best,

sean