Re: The whole alternate-root ${STATE}horse (was Re: Enable BIND cache server to resolve chinese domain name?)

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Tue Jul 05 18:12:17 2005

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 08:38:41PM +0200, Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 9:43 AM -0400 2005-07-05, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> >>                             Moreover, most of them are unlikely to be
> >>  willing to just live with the problem, if no other suitable technical
> >>  solution can be found.  Instead, they'll believe the sales pitch of
> >>  someone else who says that they can fix the problem, even if that's
> >>  not technically possible.
> >
> >  Well they might.  Well, actually, poorly they might.
> >
> >  But that argument seems to play right *to* the alt-root operators,
> >  since the "fix" is to switch your customer resolvers to point to one of
> >  them.
>
> 	I disagree.  The problem is that there are too many alternatives.

To many alt-roots?  Or too many alt-TLD's?

> >         (Assuming, of course, they stay supersets of ICANN, and don't
> >  get at cross-purposes with one another.)
>
> 	The problem is that they are pretty much guaranteed to get at
> cross-purposes.

Well, there have been alt-root zones available for, what 6 or 7 years
now?  And how many collisions have there actually been in practice?  2?
3?

> >                                            In fact, merging them at your
> >  resolvers might be the best solution.
>
> 	I don't think that's really practical.  I'm sorry, I just don't
> trust them to write a resolver that's going to get included in libc
> (or wherever), and for which the world is going to be dependant.

Well, I meant "at your customer recursive resolver servers", since the
topic at hand was "what do IAP's do to support their retail customers",
but...

> 	The alternative roots will always be marginal, at best.  The
> problem is that while they are marginal, they can still create
> serious problems for the rest of us.

In the context which people have been discussing, I don't honestly see
how they cause "the rest of us" problems.  People with domains *in*
those aTLD's, yes.  But as I noted somewhere else in this thread, the
only people who would have un-mirrored aTLD domains would be precisely
those who were evangelising for the concept, and it would be in their
best interest to be explaining what was going on...

> >  But Steve's approach doesn't seem to *me* to play in that direction.
> >  Am I wrong?
>
> 	I'm not sure I understand which Steve you're talking about.  Do
> you mean Steve Gibbard, in his post dated Sun, 3 Jul 2005 22:20:13
> -0700 (PDT)?

I did mean Mr. Gibbard, yes.

>                 If so, then each country running their own alternative
> root won't solve the problem of data leaking through the edges.

"Data leaking through the edges"...

> People will always be able to access data by pure IP address, or
> choosing to use the real root servers.  Push come to shove, and the
> real root servers could be proxied through other systems via other
> methods.

"Real" is *such* a metaphysical term here, isn't it?  :-)

> 	The reverse problem is more difficult to deal with -- that of
> people wanting to access Chinese (or whatever) sites that can only be
> found in the Chinese-owned alternative root.

Stipulated.  But whose problem *is* that?

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me