RE: Enable BIND cache server to resolve chinese domain name?

  • From: Hannigan, Martin
  • Date: Tue Jul 05 14:35:20 2005

[ SNIP ]

> That doesn't mean a competing system wouldn't work, for those who are
> using it.  They'd just be limited in who they could talk to, and that
> generally wouldn't be very appealing.

Are you just making noise here, Steve? That doesn't really
say anything outside of status quo.

> That said, a big country implementing a new DNS root on a
> national scale
> may not have that problem.  The telecom world is already full
> of systems
> that don't cross national borders. In the US case, think of
> all the cell
> phones that have international dialing turned off by default,

That's a poor example. That's between the subscriber and their
carrier, not a technical limitation.

> and all the
> 800 numbers whose owners probably aren't at all bothered by their
> inability to receive calls from other countries.

That's also a poor example since there are work arounds for
this technical issue.

> A system that would limit my ability to talk to people in
> other countries
> doesn't sound very appealing to me.

I know. I know. Don't feed the trolls.

-M<