Re: Enable BIND cache server to resolve chinese domain name?

  • From: Peter Dambier
  • Date: Tue Jul 05 12:05:09 2005

william(at)elan.net wrote:
On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, Paul Vixie wrote:

for those excellent readers who didn't follow this, here's an excerpt from
<http://european.de.orsn.net/faq.php#opmode>:
[skip]

what this means is, it can't conflict with ICANN data other than that if ICANN deletes something it might not show up in ORSN. mathematically speaking that's a superset, but politically speaking it's not at all like an alternative root.

While I doubt ICANN would delete a TLD zone (and if that happened it would
presumably be for "dead" tld which no requests are expected to come to),
I'm concerned that their system might work in regards to to host glue
records which there are quite a number of in root zone. If some nameserver
is no longer used by TLD and and now it wants to change its ip address, it would presumably request deletion of its glue record from root zone and then be able to change ip with no effect on anyone on the net. But
if ORSN does not pick it up this would mean they will continue to use
old ip address and that would cause inconsistency (which I suspect will not be easy to track either).
check_soa from the O'Reilly book 'DNS and Bind' will do or dig XXX +nsserach

What I don't understand why for their project they don't just go ahead
and copy ICANN root zone as-is.

Copyright reasons.

But nevertheless those 261 zones are watched to be synchronous to the
ICANN root. And there is another check that sees when suddenly a new
zone appears like it did for '.eu' some month ago.

Both Public-Root and ORSN had it the very same day.

I have seen when ORNS and ICANN were out of sync ORSN hat the information
from the zone file for 'at', '.de' and '.gr' while ICANN had stale
information for a very long time.

Same went for '.ke' and the Public-Root for a month or two.

Regards,
Peter and Karin Dambier

--
Peter and Karin Dambier