Re: Fundamental changes to Internet architecture

  • From: John Dupuy
  • Date: Tue Jul 05 11:46:56 2005

At 12:41 PM 7/3/2005, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 10:44:33AM -0500, John Dupuy wrote:
> However, philosophically: security=less trust vs. scalability=more trust.
> intelligent=smart-enough-to-confuse vs. simple=predictable. Thus, a very
> Intelligent Secure network is usually a nightmare of unexplained failures
> and limited scope.

Counter-example: SS7.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]
Designer                +-Internetworking------+----------+           RFC 2100

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me
That is a good counter example, although it comes with some caveats. I work with SS7 regularly. SS7 should be simple since it performs a simple function, it is actually complicated and complex. But, since SS7 takes us away from the human-managed "static routing" of the older (MF?) trunk networks systems, it's intelligence creates redundancy and limited failover.

Perhaps Clark will create something that is win-win like that...

(I assume you are giving this as a "intelligent vs. simple" counter-example, since SS7 is an example of good scale because it trusts blindingly.)

John