Re: Enable BIND cache server to resolve chinese domain name?

  • From: Suresh Ramasubramanian
  • Date: Mon Jul 04 10:10:13 2005

On 04/07/05, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> My company makes good money off balkanization of the 'net
> and we are definitely *NOT* the only one. AOL has always
> operated a network apart from the rest. The Internet is
> so big now that some balkanization is inevitable and it
> can even be a good thing. Do your customers care how
> fast they can get to http://www.satka.ru or http://www.vernon.ca

Erm... sorry to pee on your parade here but I have customers all over
the world.  Russia, Canada, China ..  I have this feeling that if I
tried that experiment I'd be neck deep in users screaming at me in
russian, canuck-ified french and a few hundred other languages

> way to find out is to let them have a go. It has been
> almost 10 years now since the first alternative root
> (Alternic) started operation. The fact that this has not
> simply faded away shows that there may be something
> to it.

Has it, like, you know, spread?

Any OSs / distros etc that include it in their default root.hints, or
maybe their /service/dnscache/root/servers/@?

> Their entrepreneurial spirit is consistent with the
> free and open way in which the Internet has developed.
> Remember the paraphrase from Voltaire:

I love these analogies about the free and open internet.  It is, to
borrow that much maligned cliche from Al Gore or whoever, a
superhighway.  As in "you are welcome to exercise your enterpreneurial
spirit and your pioneering sense of going where no man has ever gone
before, and do stuff like, for example, jaywalking across it - that
way you end up roadkill.

Or you could strike out into parts unknown, leave the mainstream alone
and enjoy the lifestyle Dan'l Boone and the other mountain men must
have had, not seeing any other human being for weeks.  Sure, a whole
lot of people like that built America but well, it took them a few
centuries.  By which time they're their own island, far away from the
mainstream

I'm done with this thread, I see it proceeding in a rather predictable
direction, but as you quoted Voltaire, I'll leave you with this -

No man is an island, entire of itself
every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main
if a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were,
as well as if a manor of thy friends or of thine own were
any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind
and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls
it tolls for thee.

-- John Donne

It is quite interesting to see how a sermon preached in the 1600s
remains as relevant today, and in this context, as it was when it was
first preached

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian ([email protected])