Re: NTIA will control the root name servers?

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Sun Jul 03 11:29:28 2005

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 09:44:56 +0200, Peter Dambier said:

> http://xn--8pru44h.xn--55qx5d/
>
> Try to see their homepage!

I can't help it if they disregard RFC2826...

> ICANN does not want them.
> They dont want ICANN either.

This doesn't change the technical issues in rfc2826.

> European ISPs and Asian ISPs do change to the Public-Root because their
> customers need to send emails to each other. Curiously enough their is
> no SPAM on Public-Root email addresses. I thought the spammers were
> located in Asia and Europe only?

(A) You thought wrong.  Just because a large percentage (not "only") arrives
from Asia and Europe doesn't mean the *spammer* is located there, any more than
the fact that this e-mail went through one of Merit's servers means that I'm
actually in Michigan.

(B) Spammers send to addresses that are likely to get them money. Thus, the
lack of spam to public-root addresses isn't surprising.

(C) The fact that I *do* see spam advertising the availability of public-root
addresses should be an adequate predictor of what will happen if said addresses
get any significant uptake.

> In Africa there is not much internet technology yet. They build on
> chinese technology because it is cheap and China supports their needs.
>
> What if their need is censoring and perfect control?

Go read this: http://65.246.255.51/rfc/rfc3675.txt

And ask yourself (a) why did that URL work at all, and (b) whether censoring
via top-level domain is likely to work.