Re: OMB: IPv6 by June 2008

  • From: Peter Dambier
  • Date: Sun Jul 03 04:20:07 2005

Christopher L. Morrow wrote:
On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Mohacsi Janos wrote:

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Mohacsi Janos wrote:

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Mohacsi Janos wrote:

This keeps coming up in each discussion about v6, 'what security measures'
is never really defined in any real sense. As near as I can tell it's
level of 'security' is no better (and probably worse at the outset, for
the implementations not the protocol itself)  than v4. I could be wrong,
but I'm just not seeing any 'inherent security' in v6, and selling it that
way is just a bad plan.

Just name a few:
- Possibility to end-to-end IPSec.
exists in v4
Is broken by NAT

Not exactly. Try to setup IPSec nodes behind NAT boxes. IPSec is speaking
about possibility of e2e security.
this changes how in v6+nat?

That is why there is no NAT in IPv6 and God help there will never be NAT in v6.

There is not need for NAT in IPv6. Use instead NAP (i.e. Network
Architecture Protection).
you are ignoring the reality... people WILL want v6 and nat :( it might be
ugly and distasteful, but the fact remains that people will want and will
require nat.

People will want IPv9 with total gouvernement control. Especially in China
and the US.

P2P is broken with NAT. They are 90% of internet users.

With NAT there is no VoIP, no FTP, no DNS, no ...
Just try and put two servers behind NAT - that is, if your server and your
NAT-box support eachother.

- Privacy enhanced addresses - not tracking usage based on addresses
dhcp can do this for you (v4 has mechanisms for this)
DHCP does not provide privacy, just address management. Can you
communicate on IPv4 the following way?: - different service - different
source IP address?

yes. look at bitchx, or ssh ... corner cases to be sure, but still
feasible. (or simple example: vhosted webserver) As to dhcp, it can
provide the address privacy you seek, just use very short leases. (yes,
it's messy, but it'd work mostly)
Are you speaking about the following? :
What I am talking to x service my source address is a1. x see me as a1.
In the same time when I am talking to y service my source address is a2. y
see me as a2.
I am speaking of that yes. with the 2 applications I named above (bitchx
and ssh) you can indeed appear to be 2 different ip address to 2 different
services/destinations...

Can I have more than 1 address with DHCP in the same time?

I believe you could do multiple dhcp addresses for multiple interfaces on
one box. atleast with a modernish unix that seems quite feasible.

Have you tried to find out in a IPv4 NAT environment where the virus/worm
flood is coming? - Most of the situation it is coming from the NAT box -
actually that's kind of my daily job... it seems to work fine for me so
far.
Because you have all the tools and knowledge. But most of the
users/admins do not have these.
perhaps... but tcpdump/snort/<pc-sniffer-of-choice> will make that problem
easy for them as well.

not because NAT box was infected, but because nodes behind NAT was
infected. Most of the cases admins of the networks behind NAT boxes not
knowledgeable enough where to look in this cases. So IPv6 can improve e2e
accountability that is part of the security.

because it removes the 'requirement' for NAT? or in some other magical
way? If you look/listen to the users of NAT, a large proportion of them
will continue to use NAT in v6 (or have stated they will)... I'm not sure
your above arguement is as valid as you'd like it to be :(

There never was a need for flat tyres or NAT. The only reason for NAT is
a lot of peaple running out of IPv4 address space.

Whatever security nonesense was told of NAT was just hype to justify NAT
breaking almost every existing or newly invented protocol.

Probably they will use NAT for IPv4, because they don't have other option,
but they will use IPv6 with proper stateful firewall. Argument that NAT is
providing security is not valid....

the arguement is that NAT is required because people want it, regardless
of your engineering arguement about how ugly nat and v6 is/will-be :(

NAT is only good to prevent people from communicating with eachother.

The perfect NAT is IPv9 as deployed in china. You dont need IPv6. Stay
with IPv4 and we will map all addresses that are good for you into your
personal IPv4 address space. You dont need to send emails directly to
everybody. We will do that for you. You dont need to be afraid of SPAM.
We will take care of that for you.

What do you need of PC for? Free tv for erybody is good enuf for you!

Have a nice weekend,
Peter and Karin Dambier

--
Peter and Karin Dambier