Re: NTIA will control the root name servers?

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Fri Jul 01 20:20:36 2005

On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 03:28:23PM -0700, Randy Bush wrote:
> > Basically it sounds like the U.S. Gov't (NTIA)/U.S. Dept of Commerce
> > will take back control of the root name servers from ICANN at some
> > point.
>
> no.  they never let go of it.  a change to a nameserver for an
> african cctld has to go through the us dept of commerce.  they
> are saving us from terrorists such as liman.  don't you feel
> safe?

Not that anyone around here thinks Declan McCullagh is an authority or
anything (:-), but Kai Ryssdal interviewed him about this on tonight's
Marketplace; the piece, modulo a couple of "root server"'s and "web
address"'s, is here:

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/shows/2005/07/01/PM200507012.html

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]
Designer                +-Internetworking------+----------+           RFC 2100

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me