Re: Fundamental changes to Internet architecture

  • From: Petri Helenius
  • Date: Fri Jul 01 14:35:53 2005

Fergie (Paul Ferguson) wrote:

Yeah, I saw that...

With all respect to Dave, and not to sound too skeptical,
but we're pretty far along in our current architecture to
"fundamentally" change, don't you think (emphasis on
fundamentally)?

Most of the routing and security issues on todays IP4/IP6 internet could be solved by deploying HIP or derivatives thereof without requiring fundamental changes to the infrastructure since the major "flaw" of current generation Internet is tying the network identity and host/application indentity into one which is then overcome with whole spectrum of solutions along the lines of anycast, load-balancers, NAT, etc.

Pete

- ferg

-- [email protected] wrote:

I guess I'm not the only one who thinks that we could benefit from some fundamental changes to Internet architecture.

http://www.wired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,68004,00.html?tw=wn_6techhead

Dave Clark is proposing that the NSF should fund a new demonstration network that implements a fundamentally new architecture at many levels.

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
[email protected] or [email protected]