Re: Fundamental changes to Internet architecture

  • From: Lixia Zhang
  • Date: Fri Jul 01 12:20:33 2005

On Jul 1, 2005, at 12:53 PM, Fergie (Paul Ferguson) wrote:

Yeah, I saw that...

With all respect to Dave, and not to sound too skeptical,
but we're pretty far along in our current architecture to
"fundamentally" change, don't you think (emphasis on
fundamentally)?

- ferg
Many people probably share similar concern.

My personal view (I've left MIT 16 years, so no relation to Clark):
- I believe we all wish the Internet architecture, as we have now, has
some problems here or there.
- But how to make it better? Quoting Dave, looking one incremental step
each time is unlikely the best way to proceed.
- To see see more clearly where we should head to, one can try
a 2-step approach:
+ if one gets all one's wishes: how would we want the architecture
to look like, given what we know today (that we didn't 30 years ago)?
+ if/once one gets that question answered, we can then tackle the next
question of how to get there from here.

my 2 cents,
Lixia

-- [email protected] wrote:

I guess I'm not the only one who thinks that we could benefit from some
fundamental changes to Internet architecture.

http://www.wired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,68004,00.html? tw=wn_6techhead

Dave Clark is proposing that the NSF should fund a new demonstration
network that implements a fundamentally new architecture at many levels.

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
[email protected] or [email protected]