Re: Fundamental changes to Internet architecture

  • From: Daniel Roesen
  • Date: Fri Jul 01 06:36:21 2005

On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 11:28:31AM +0100, [email protected] wrote:
> http://www.wired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,68004,00.html?tw=wn_6techhead
>
> Dave Clark is proposing that the NSF should fund a new demonstration
> network that implements a fundamentally new architecture at many levels.

I'm tired of the tax money wasted everywhere for "demonstration
networks" which cost huge amount of money, have fat pipes for nothing
and lots of press coverage (and if interconnected to the DFZ world often
introduce routing problems for those who actually try to use IPv6 in
production). But still most ISPs don't get native IPv6 service from
their v4 upstreams.

The real work is done elsewhere. There _are_ commercial ISPs nowadays
who have 30Gbps (30, not 3) of native IPv6 bandwidth US-EU and can
provide native IPv6 transit throughout Europe and the US. But no press
releases.

Some talk about deployment, some actually do. Intersection between those
camps is relatively small.

Best regards,
Daniel

PS: and it's not an US ISP nor tier 1 :-)

--
CLUE-RIPE -- Jabber: [email protected] -- [email protected] -- PGP: 0xA85C8AA0