Re: OMB: IPv6 by June 2008

  • From: Christopher L. Morrow
  • Date: Thu Jun 30 16:28:43 2005

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005, Fergie (Paul Ferguson) wrote:

> I'm glad you brought that up. :-)
>
> As a follow-up to the two posts that I made earlier about
> Congressional hearings and the OMB mandate, let me applaud
> Congressman Tom Davis (did I really just say that?!?) for

please find some ivory soap and wash out your own mouth... :)

> making a salient point during the hearings yesteday:

...snip...

>    over the current IPv4 technology. Among the additional
>    advantages of IPv6 are improved security measures and
>    additional links for wireless devices.

which 'security measures' are included in ipv6? which additional links for
wireless devices?

This keeps coming up in each discussion about v6, 'what security measures'
is never really defined in any real sense. As near as I can tell it's
level of 'security' is no better (and probably worse at the outset, for
the implementations not the protocol itself)  than v4. I could be wrong,
but I'm just not seeing any 'inherent security' in v6, and selling it that
way is just a bad plan.

-dazed and confused in ipv4-land.