Re: OMB: IPv6 by June 2008

  • From: Brad Knowles
  • Date: Thu Jun 30 13:46:01 2005

At 11:30 AM -0400 2005-06-30, Daniel Senie wrote:

 http://www.fcw.com/article89432-06-29-05-Web
 GOSIP II anybody? Will it be different this time than it was with OSI?
 Everyone had to scramble in the late 1980s to get OSI stuff done, then
 the gov't never used it.
I worked for DISA at the time of GOSIP, in their Network Infrastructure group. My boss was a major critic, and was on one of the important boards (DISA would have to deploy GOSIP internally before anyone else would be able to use it). He came in to his office very, very happy one day. I also remember X.400 and X.500.

Trust me, IPv6 really is different from GOSIP. In the former case, the drivers are outside the government, mainly in Asia. In the latter case, the sole driver was the government, and no one outside of the government wanted to touch it. More importantly, there are a lot of places that are using IPv6 in the real world, and that never happened with GOSIP.

--
Brad Knowles, <[email protected]>

Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755