Re: [OT] network monitoring/visibility appliance

  • From: Daniel Golding
  • Date: Fri Jun 24 23:12:27 2005

Just to ignore your wishes and reply on-list :)

Other folks may be interested. The general area is known as "route
analytics". The box you are talking about may be from Packet Design (the HP
solution is OEMed from them, I believe) or Ipsum networks. This is separate
from modeling and simulation tools like Cariden, Opnet, and Wandl which all
offer some greater or lesser degree of routing protocol support.

I believe the original idea for these boxes was to target service providers,
but enterprises are also quite interested in the field, especially with the
growth of RFC2547 VPNs. A box like this can help an enterprise keep track of
the BGP advertisements and any OSPF/EIGRP redistribution at their sites
(which can number in the thousands).

Sales of these products are pretty small now, but that may change. Imagine
doing data correlation between IGP (or BGP) convergence and dropped calls on
a softswitch across a few thousand sites.

My personal opinion is that questions about Internet/WAN technology vendors
on a _high_ level are perfectly appropriate for NANOG - at least as much as
"is xyz down?" :) More in-depth stuff ("how do I configure my GSR to dance
the lambada") belong on the appropriate NSP lists...

--
Daniel Golding