Re: md5 for bgp tcp sessions

  • From: Jared Mauch
  • Date: Thu Jun 23 11:24:56 2005

On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 10:27:49AM -0400, Todd Underwood wrote:

> marty,
>
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 10:22:07AM -0400, Hannigan, Martin wrote:
> > > rolling out magic code because your
> > > vendor tells you to is a bad idea;
> >
> > That's mostly the result of the calamitous failure in vulnerability
> > release methodology, not Operator stupidity.
>
> totally agreed.  vendors c, j and several others should be *ashamed*
> of the way that they handled and continue to handle this issue: they

	Hmm, Do you mean NISCC?  I think they were
driving the issue:

http://www.uniras.gov.uk/niscc/docs/al-20040420-00199.html?lang=en

> have yet to admit that they raised a panic (in secret, with no facts,
> so that they could not be refuted) over a basic fact of the way tcp
> works, creating outages and instability to fix a non-problem.
>
> operators in those circumstances had little choice but to roll out
> "critical security fixes", but i think we all deserve an apology, an
> explanation and a commitment to do better in the future.

	Come on folks, this was over a year ago, we've all grown
some (well, at least older) and hopefully wiser in how to handle
these situations as they come up.

	I suspect the vendors, NISCC/UNIRAS, and various global CERTs
have been learning from these events, but it was awhile ago so take
the lesson and move on.

	- Jared