Re: md5 for bgp tcp sessions

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Thu Jun 23 10:55:15 2005

On 2005-06-23, at 09:57, Eric Gauthier wrote:

likely need to make modifications to our IGP/EGP setup. Though we filter
OSPF multicast traffic, we wanted to add in MD5 passwords to our
neighbors.
just a quick comment here.  i would encourage you not to do that.
Honestly, I completely agree with you that MD5'ing our OSPF adjacencies isn't
a great idea (I've so far stalled its roll-out).
Just in case it's not obvious to any onlookers here, Eric was talking about using MD5 authentication in OSPF adjacencies, and Todd is talking about using the TCP MD5 signature option (RFC2385) between BGP peers.

They are two different things (although they both involve routing protocols and the MD5 algorithm): not all arguments for or against one will apply to the other.

Joe