Re: md5 for bgp tcp sessions

  • From: Todd Underwood
  • Date: Thu Jun 23 10:28:52 2005

marty,

On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 10:22:07AM -0400, Hannigan, Martin wrote:
> > rolling out magic code because your
> > vendor tells you to is a bad idea;
>
> That's mostly the result of the calamitous failure in vulnerability
> release methodology, not Operator stupidity.

totally agreed.  vendors c, j and several others should be *ashamed*
of the way that they handled and continue to handle this issue: they
have yet to admit that they raised a panic (in secret, with no facts,
so that they could not be refuted) over a basic fact of the way tcp
works, creating outages and instability to fix a non-problem.

operators in those circumstances had little choice but to roll out
"critical security fixes", but i think we all deserve an apology, an
explanation and a commitment to do better in the future.

todd underwood
director of operations & security
renesys - interdomain intelligence
[email protected]   www.renesys.com