Re: More long AS-sets announced

  • From: Pete Templin
  • Date: Tue Jun 21 12:23:46 2005

Randy Bush wrote:

showing that ios won't crash is very difficult because the number
of versions of ios, and the amazing dependencies of things on which
blade is in which slot and what phase is the moon.
Thank you. You've provided a clean, concise counter to Lorenzo's original claim that long AS sets won't trip on IOS bugs.

This may be a well-run, very small experiment, but it's experimenting with a space that's rarely explored and therefore less likely to have encountered the same level of operational testing that horrifying garbage leaks have tested. As such, I'm frustrated that the testers consider requests to provide more advance notice to be so "obtuse".

Many of us in the operational community are required to conduct testing in lab environments, followed by well-announced maintenance windows. Why is this operational test supposed to be given freer reign on the 'net than our own operations? Alternatively, why can't the test be conducted in a lab, with interested operators providing router configurations and xOS versions to give the test bed the most realistic sample of the 'net, without using the production 'net?

pt