Re: OSPF -vs- ISIS

  • From: Fergie (Paul Ferguson)
  • Date: Tue Jun 21 10:58:35 2005

It is a dangerous thing when, in the course of engineering,
you have a solution looking for a problem, instead of a problem
looking for a solution.

I'd say that the biggest benefit in using IS-IS over OSPF is
the tuning of route metrics, but aside from that, I'd say that
the two routing protocols are substantially similar enough to
warrant close consideration of exactly what one would want bad
enough to switch from one to the other.

- ferg

-- Erik Haagsman <[email protected]> wrote:

On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 09:04 -0500, Dan Evans wrote:
> Can anyone point me to information on what the top N service providers
> are using for their IGP? I'm trying to build a case for switching from
> OSPF to IS-IS.

Why are you trying to build a case...? Would you already have
operational benefit from switching and are you building a case round
that and if not, why switch...? Switching IGP in a non-trivial network
isn't something you'd want to do unless you've got a clear motive and it
gives you some operational advantage...

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 [email protected] or [email protected]