Re: More long AS-sets announced

  • From: MarcoH
  • Date: Tue Jun 21 05:21:58 2005

On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 08:13:08AM +0300, Hank Nussbacher wrote:
> > due to unforeseen technical difficulties, we have been forced to
> > postpone these experiments. We plan to make the announcements at the
> > same times on Monday 20 June.
> >
> > The prefixes will be the same (84.205.73.0/24 and 84.205.89.0/24) and
> > will be originated by AS12654 as before, but the AS-set will consist of
> > AS2121 repeated n times, so the paths will look like 12654 {2121, 2121,
> > .., 2121}. AS2121 is the RIPE meeting AS, which is reserved for RIPE
> > meetings and does not currently appear in the global routing table.
>
> Wrong again.  You used both AS1221 and AS2121:

Yups, smells like a small but very dangerous typo.

>From a netcitizen's perpesctive and as being involved in operating a part
of the internet, I'm starting to dislike this whole experiment more and
more. I understand, as people already commented, the internet in fact is
one big experiment, but this is getting out-of-hand.

Can the people responsible for this please reconsider and put things on
hold until certain conditions are met:

Publish a detailed workplan including AS-es used, windows and risk
analysis to the various mailinglists.

A reasonable time between annoucements and the experiment instead of 24
hours.

Some assurance that input files are checked for typos.

Take another look wether it is smart to use 'production' AS-es for it,
such as the RIS or meeting AS numbers, instead of a seperate set. I think
people are going to get real unhappy if somewhere in October they found
out the meeting network is blocked at various places.

Just my 2 cents,

MarcoH