RE: [NON-OPERATIONAL] Re: NANOG Evolution

  • From: Hannigan, Martin
  • Date: Mon Jun 20 23:13:39 2005

[SNIP ]

> I agree, this is an imperfect mechanism, but there was a desire
> to get the process going well in advance of the next meeting.
> Otherwise we would have to wait a few extra months.  Also, note
> that not all voters will be at any given meeting.

All the broadcast mechanisms will be.

[ SNIP ]

> > [ dead horse ]
> >
> > Lastly, "6.2.1 Program Committee Membership and Selection " is
> > not acceptable, IMO, for the group at large. It should be
> normalized
> > much like the Mailing List Admins. This disables the ability of the
> > Steering Committee to lead.
> >
> > Ultimately, the SC is elected to represent the membership and
> > carry out it's will and that should be uniformly actionable
> > across the board in order for the SC to be taken seriously
> > by the group and by Merit.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here.

It means that it doesn't make a lot of sense to handcuff
the SC out of the gate on a supposition that they will do
'something bad' to the PC.

Anyhow, it's a window dressing handcuffing. Looks like anyone can be
removed with a 5 to 7 vote of the SC. You've all read the revised
Charter, top to bottom? Kind of makes 6.2.1 ceremonial. It should
be removed based on that alone.

[ SNIP. It's procedural, not personal ]

-M<