Re: Best Practice where BGP router is "distance" from client

  • From: John Payne
  • Date: Thu Jun 16 12:24:07 2005

On Jun 16, 2005, at 7:12 AM, Sam Stickland wrote:

2a) Get the client to form a BGP session with the cisco3550 and announce there network(s) to it. The cisco3550 announces our internal address range to the client. Over the top of the this another BGP (multihop) is setup between the client and the 6500. Layer3 protocols (in this case OSPF) provide redundancy in the cloud. Traffic entering our network for the client will be routed straight to the cisco 3550. Traffic from the client will be backhauled all the way to the cisco 6500 before being sent on it's way.
This is similar to what Cogent does. However, your last statement is incorrect. The 3550 will look at the destination IP, and send it along *its* best path (or rather to the nexthop in it's best path) to the destination.