Re: Announcing long AS-sets tomorrow

  • From: Jeroen Massar
  • Date: Wed Jun 15 05:42:40 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 11:27 +0200, Lorenzo Colitti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as part of our AS-set stuffing experiments (announced, including links
> to in-depth information, in [1]), we will be announcing unusually large
> AS-sets tomorrow, Thursday 16 June.

It would be *very* nice if you could announce this at least a week in
advance instead of "tomorrow we are going to abuse the internet for some
weird testing".

Then folks could add some filtering to discard your announcements.

> This is *not* a test
> to see if routers will fall over: we have successfully tested longer
> AS-sets in the lab on both Cisco and Juniper, and longer AS-paths and
> AS-sets have been observed in the wild [2,3].

Unfortunately, especially in the case of Cisco's, there are a lot of
varying versions, with each and every one of them their own special
little bugs. Also don't forget that there are actually people using
other setups than C and J boxes. Not that it would be bad when they
would fall over, it would be bad if they would keep on transmitting
these paths, like what Cisco's tend to do when not forwarding to other
peers that the prefix was actually retracted.

PS: Don't forget to notify our asian colleagues.

Greets,
 Jeroen