Re: Economics of SPAM [Was: Micorsoft's Sender ID Authentication......?]

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Sat Jun 11 15:59:12 2005

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 11:33:29 PDT, Steve Sobol said:

> Barry Shein wrote:
> >
> > One useful definition of (some sorts of) insanity is doing the same
> > thing over and over but expecting different results.
> >
> > I therefore assert there is no technical solution to spam.
>
> The ultimate solution would have to be a combination of social, technical
> and probably legislative.

Amen (mostly).

I think we can write off "legislative" until we fix the root causes that gave
us the CAN-SPAM act.  We'll more likely make progress on the "judicial" side by
finding a gung-ho DA who wants to get famous by enforcing the *existing* laws -
I seem to recall one up in NY.. ;)

I've been saying it for years - there's a *really* quick fix to the spam problem.

We just take a pool - a few hundred dollars from every ISP.  We hire some
<insert ethnic> enforcment goons to "explain things" to the spammers, and allow
the goons to be creative.  Have them visit one of the top-100 off the ROSKO
list at random each week.  We'll be well on the way to done by the end of the
summer. ;)

Squeamish? Oh bother. OK, so we hire lawyers instead.  Less bloody, but it
takes longer and costs more....