Re: Micorsoft's Sender ID Authentication......?

  • From: Matt Ghali
  • Date: Fri Jun 10 13:20:45 2005

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 [email protected] wrote:

  On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 17:40:55 PDT, Matt Ghali said:

  > So you see, the reputation has nothing to do with your mom, and
  > everything to do with the controlling entity, her ISP. Which makes
  > the whole address-based sender reputation scheme almost workable, if
  > you ignore the scaling issues.

  That's suspiciously close to "Ralph Nader or Ross Perot could have
  been elected President, if you ignore the scaling issues".  :)

Yes. There's a reason I did not include a ringing endorsement of
sender reputation schemes as the FUSSP; it has colossal inherent
scaling issues; however I believe the 90/10 rule will make it at
least somewhat effective.

  Other than that, what Matt said is correct - the problem is that
  legitimate mail can come from literally millions of places whose
  reputation we have no clue on....

Yes. Sender reputation on an per-ip level is a lot of state.
However; I believe that sender reputation on a swip level may be
attainable, and provide positive value.

matto

PS: Even though it's painfully obvious, I speak only for myself and
no entity currently/previously employing me- Especially those kooks
at UCB.

[email protected]<darwin><
              The only thing necessary for the triumph
              of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke