Re: Micorsoft's Sender ID Authentication......?

  • From: Stephen Sprunk
  • Date: Thu Jun 09 20:04:28 2005

Thus spake "Barry Shein" <[email protected]>
> However, I'll add my voice that I believe "reputation" systems as an
> approach to spam-prevention are neither useful nor sufficient w/o
> repeating what others have said.

Agreed.

If my grandmother has a "reputation" for sending legitimate email, and she
inadvertently installs some spam zombie software, it is certainly feasible
(and probably trivial) for the spammer to steal all her credentials and thus
her "reputation".  Spam will get out for a while, but once her "reputation"
significantly degrades, it will be stopped -- as will any future legitimate
email from her.

This "solution" strikes me as worse than the problem it tries to address.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov